Sunday, January 28, 2007

About ROM ( Royal Ontario Museum)

Last Friday I went to ROM with my friend to do homework. It was my first time to go there, I just thought that I should go there before I'm going back to Korea. Because I went there around 5:30 PM, I could enter with discounted entrance fee. I was disappointed at ROM because it's not huge than I expected. I have thought why I thought it's not huge. The reason is that I have visited many huge museums that I couldn't see all of them in a day and I heard that it's one of the most biggest museums, so maybe my expectation was quite high.

I saw some boxes on the third level, but I couldn't figure out what they were. When I saw the explanation, I couldn't understand it because of vocabulary. I didn't bring my dictionary and camera; therefore, I wrote down the name of boxes. It looked like a box for small accessories. Anyway they were quite beautiful and gorgeous in my eyes and there were some accessories beside them. Some accessories looked very heavy specially earings. Whenever I saw those kind of old accessories. I thought that. I saw some different kind of boxes. Obviously I have studied that word of other boxes; however, I couldn't remember it, so I wrote down the word again. Ther also were beautiful. I liked that exhibition where was Eaton Court.

After I came back home, I looked them up. The first boxes were 'snuff' that was a kind of cigarette box and the other boxes were 'comb' that was a flat piece of plastic used to tidy your hair. Snuff is powder of cogarette that you can smoke with a nose. Long time ago, many people smoked it , but it's powder, so they needed a box to keep clean. Tha material of boxes were so valuable and the decoration was very beautiful. Size of most them were quite small, so I wondered what they were more and was curious about them. Even though the size was very small, the decoration was really detail, so it's very valuable and so expensive to get them. Many museums wanted to get them. Both of snuff boxes and comb boxes were so beautiful and precious, actually I wanted to get them. haha I know that it's impossible.

Also I was interested in seeing Samuel European Galleries. Eaton court and Samuel European Galleries were the most interesting exhibition for me. I wanted to see Italian Art and Design, but I couldn't see because that was closed. Anyway I had fun while I was watching many many things in the ROM.

No comments: